Click here for our most frequently asked questions. We are happy to answer any further questions you might have. Contact us directly.
We work couples from all walks of life, from all around the world. Many of the couples we see are cross-cultural, sometimes with one partner living in their native country, while the other is from a different country. Other couples we see are from the same country or culture, but are currently living abroad as expats.
English is the language we speak during therapy, however it may or may not be the native language of our clients.
Yes! Below are some of the advantages to our intensive programs:
- Our programs shrink down the time spent in therapy. For example, a two day intensive is the equivalent of nearly three to five months of weekly therapy.
- Research shows that consolidating sessions in the beginning of the therapy is more effective than spacing out sessions over time.
- The longer time frame during intensives allow couples to get to the heart of the matter and stay there for a longer period of time before the session is ended.
- Couples are able to go deeper with their emotions and are therefore able to connect deeper with their partner.
- During an intensive program your therapist is completely focused on you and your partner, without the distractions of upcoming sessions or time management.
- Scheduling is often more convenient, you will miss less work and spend less time on arranging childcare.
No! Our intensive programs are broken down into two, three hour sessions per day. In our experience, three hour sessions aren’t long enough!
During the three hour sessions we often alternate between talking and watching videos of couples going through a similar experience. This is highly informative, creates hope and helps couples ease into the therapy process.
Once the process is underway and couples begin working through the emotional landscape of their relationship, it is hard to stop until there is a resolution. This makes the time go quickly and clients often cannot believe that the three hours have already passed.
Knowing that couples are often apprehensive in the beginning, we ensure that the environment is comfortable going into a three hour session. Comfy chairs, tea, coffee and refreshments are provided and we always take a short break half way through to stretch our legs.
Yes! Deciding to participate in one of our intensive programs is a significant commitment of time and resources. Therefore, we provide a thorough screening to make sure that you choose the program that is suited best for you and your partner.
The screening process involves the following steps:
- First we will meet for a 20 minute introductory chat (free of charge)
- If we feel that the three of us are a good fit, and your situation is suitable for an intensive program, we will schedule the intensive.
- You and your partner will receive the initial treatment consent forms.
- Upon return of the consent forms, you will each receive an invitation via email to complete the online Gottman Relationship Checkup, which is a research based assessment tool.
- Once the online assessment is completed, you will receive final confirmation for the intensive date.
In the unlikely event that we determine that an intensive program is not in your best interest, you and your partner will receive advice on what to do next. Some options include weekly therapy with us or a referral to another therapist or specialist in your area.
No, the $29 fee for the screening process is non refundable. However, the fee is included in the total amount of our intensive programs, should you decide to participate.
During the initial 20 minute non-obligatory session we ask direct questions in order to evaluate whether or not you and your partner are potentially suitable, and therefore advised to go through the screening process. If we feel that our intensive programs are not the right choice for the two of you, we will tell you this upfront.
In the unlikely event that information is revealed during the online assessment that would disqualify you and your partner, we do our best to provide alternative solutions, whether that be in the form of weekly therapy with us or a referral to another therapist or specialist.
Most couples are eligible for intensive therapy.
Below are certain situations where our programs are not suitable:
- Current ongoing (undisclosed) infidelity
- Continual domestic violence or threat of violence
- Active substance abuse
- Untreated serious mental health issues or unresolved trauma
- One partner has already decided definitively to leave the relationship
If you are uncertain about whether your personal situation would be suitable, please do not hesitate contacting us.
While intensive programs are a great starting point for couples to make drastic changes in their relationship, most couples will need more follow up to prevent relapse. We recommend regular check-ins in the form of hourly sessions or additional intensives when warranted.
We offer one follow up 60 minute session as part of the two day intensive program.
Follow up sessions are also available, at an additional charge, for one day intensives and participants of our couples retreat.
For weekly and intensive programs, the answer is typically no. However, we always advise that you check with your insurance provider to be sure, especially if you have international insurance.
Dutch insurance does not provide reimbursement for couples therapy.
Yes! We have found that while weekly therapy can be effective for some couples, intensive programs are more effective for most couples. This is not because weekly therapy is flawed per se. Rather, it is because most couples have difficulty scheduling weekly sessions consistently. Busy work schedules and frequent travel is common for couples living abroad, and can wreak havoc on the best of intentions for therapy. Even when there is enough motivation to improve the relationship, life circumstances often get in the way.
Our intensive programs save you and your partner both time and money. By spending an intense period of time with your partner and the therapist, the two of you will be able to make changes quickly and dramatically. The faster you and your partner begin to make changes in the relationship, the less it will cost you over time. It is a win-win situation.